Discover an Reasonably priced Youngster Custody and Help Lawyer • Benzinga

Family court cases are often the most important. Often a child’s well-being is at stake, so a quick and straightforward case is ideal. If you’re before a family court, a good custody and assistance attorney can help make the process more painless. But how do you find a good one? A service like or Rocket Lawyer will quickly connect you with a certified attorney to prepare for your case today.

Child custody and support cases

Nobody wants to see a child they love suffer. Even so, life happens and you can’t always protect them from everything like the pain of divorce or neglect of a parent. The family court deals with these issues and often deals with custody and alimony issues. In these cases, the child’s best interests are always the focus – each case is judged according to this standard.

In support and custody cases, the courts issue ordinances that deal with parental leave, custody, the sharing of finances and paternity. You can also consider custody as part of a general divorce settlement along with spousal support. And courts see cases in which the rights of grandparents are also addressed.

Parental leave

One of the main issues in custody cases involving a separated or divorced couple is which parent a child will live with and spend most of their time with. This can be a contentious issue between spouses and difficult for the child. For this reason, the court often sets clear rules for parental leave.

This issue is often resolved quickly after the matter has been brought to court in order to disrupt the child’s life as little as possible. Judges can even make temporary custody decisions to ensure a child’s well-being.

As with all custody considerations, the court seeks to make decisions that are in the best interests of the child. If possible, joint physical and legal custody is transferred. With joint custody, the child spends time with each parent. Joint custody means that each parent has an equal say in the upbringing of a child.

Healthy contact with each parent leads to more emotional stability. Research shows that children who have the same time with each parent receive more financial support.

In some cases, e.g. For example, if one parent is unfit or the two parents live far apart, primary or sole custody can be assigned. Here, the non-caring parent is assigned a visit plan. In extreme cases, only a supervised visit or complete termination of parental rights can take place.


If the child lives almost exclusively with one parent visiting the other, that parent has custody. While the courts strive to grant joint custody whenever possible, sometimes it just isn’t. A child can have a much stronger bond with one of the parents, one can be disabled, or one parent can live in a different condition.

While custody cases are designed to be resolved quickly, primary custody outcome cases can take longer. If it is clear to the judge that 1 parent must have custody, or if both parents and children feel that this is best, this cannot be the case. If one parent seeks custody of the other or other complications arise, the case may take a little longer. A custody attorney working with is ideal in such situations.

As a legal guardian, much of the weight of parenting rests with you. It is best to stay organized as much as possible so that all of your energy is not spent tracking down and maintaining all of the details related to the custody decision. You can use Rocket Lawyer’s free Child Visitation Letter. This document is used to create a plan to notify the other parent of events under the Custody Ordinance (if the children are leaving town with one parent) or notify the other parent if they are in breach of the contract.


When an unmarried couple has a baby, paternity must be established by law. This ensures that the child has the same legal rights to financial support from their parents as a child of a married couple.

The easiest way to do this is if the father recognizes paternity by signing an affidavit of parentage. In other cases, a case is opened to determine paternity. The court can order a genetic test to determine biological paternity.

The willing participation of the father speeds the case, but if there are difficulties, a lawyer is an advantage. Once you’ve applied for paternity, the next obstacle is finding the father and giving him the court order. This can be a tedious process that can take a few months.

To get started, you’ll need to submit an IV-D Child Application Services application that Rocket Lawyer can assist you with. You can file this order directly with the court or through your state’s Child Support Office through the Department of Health and Human Services. You will order a paternity institution as part of the maintenance procedure.

Grandparents’ rights

Depending on the jurisdiction in which you live, you may have the right to visit as a grandparent. Or a grandparent can seek custody of their grandchildren if they believe neither parent will be able to raise them.

All 50 US states have some kind of law that gives grandparents or other caregivers (such as foster parents or stepparents) the right to apply for statutory visitation rights. However, these statutes vary by state. So, take advantage of the free legal advice resources from Rocket Lawyer and to familiarize yourself with your local laws.

These cases can be more complicated than your average case because at least one party is not the child’s birth parent. Still, the court will decide what is best for the child. These cases should be settled quickly so that a good lawyer can help you structure a solid case for your rights even in a limited period of time.

If you’re a parent who restricted visiting a grandparent or caretaker because you believe it is in the child’s best interests, an attorney is key. Troxel v Granville, a 2000 court case, ruled that a state’s visiting laws could be overridden if the parent can demonstrate that a visit to a caretaker would harm the child’s best interests. However, this is not the legal gold standard so expert guidance is required to navigate here.

Rocket Lawyer and are standout services that provide quick and easy access to critical legal assistance. Whether you want to learn about the law or speak to a lawyer, Rocket Lawyer can help. Or, schedule a free consultation through today with a lawyer who specializes in custody and assistance cases.

Good advice in an often emotional and painful family law case is vital. Getting expert advice as early as possible on your case can help ease the stress and bring you the result you want.

frequently asked Questions

Q: Does custody affect child support?

A: It depends on the situation. Even with joint custody, 1 parent typically has primary custody and takes on more of the day-to-day role of parenting, including the costs involved. The other parent would likely pay support. However, if two parents have joint custody, both may not have to pay assistance. However, if one parent earns significantly more than the other, they may have to take financial responsibility for the children or provide support to the other parent.

Q: How does child benefit work if parents live in different states?

A: If parents live in different states, one state will have jurisdiction over the case, and this court’s order will trump all others. Courts determine a child’s home state based on where they currently live or have lived most. If they cannot define it by these standards, they will examine in what state the child has the “most significant connection”.

Once a court has made a custody decision, that custody decision applies. A court in another state can only override this in certain circumstances. Custody decisions can be enforced in any jurisdiction, even if they were not issued there.

Q: Can a non-caring parent receive child benefit?

A: Generally, the non-caring parent pays support because the caring parent pays more costs. However, if the non-caring parent earns significantly less than the other party or cannot afford to take care of the children, they may receive support.

Comments are closed.