Little one custody file |

Submit an application to initiate custody proceedings.

You can file an application for custody at the higher regional court in your district. If you get divorced, the application will be included on your divorce papers. You must then serve or deliver holding forms to the other party using a litigation server or sheriff’s office.

There are two types of custody: physical and legal. The child lives with the party with custody. The custodian can make important decisions for the child. When legal or physical custody is shared, a parent or guardian is designated as the primary custodian and has the final say in parental decisions.

The custody order remains in place until the child turns 18. If the circumstances change and the custody order needs to be changed, a party can apply for a change in custody. In order to change custody, they must demonstrate that there has been a material change in circumstances that affects the child’s best interests.

It is recommended that you seek legal advice before applying for custody. You can find an attorney by visiting the State Bar of Georgia website.

Comments are closed.