Olivia Wilde scores a custody victory with Jason Sudeikis as the judge denies a motion to move the case to New York
Olivia Wilde, Jason Sudeikis. Shutterstock (2)
Olivia Wilde And Jason SudeikisThe custody case remains in California.
Judge Adele Alexis Harris announced on Friday, March 24 that she was rejecting Sudeikis’ request to move the case to New York, according to TMZ.
“The court finds that it is in the interest of substantive justice that the parties’ child support claim be heard in California,” the judge said in legal documents obtained by the outlet. The decision came more than six months after he tried to delay the case.
The legal victory for Wilde, 39, came shortly after she called the Ted Lasso star, 47, about extending her lengthy custody battle. (The former couple, who called it quits in November 2020, share son Otis, 8, and daughter Daisy, 6.)
“Jason should not be allowed to put Olivia in debt and then demand that she be deprived of her right to claim a needs-based fee contribution from him,” the actress’ legal team wrote in court documents obtained by the Daily Mail on Thursday. March 23rd. “While the details of Jason’s finances are currently unknown due to his refusal to act on fundamental discoveries, she is aware that he is far wealthier than her.”
In the legal filing, the Don’t Worry Darling director argued that Sudeikis acted “underhand” and “bad faith” when it came to her children. The couple previously shared a rare glimpse into their approach to co-parenting amid the messy custody battle.
In August 2022, Wilde broke her silence after public legal documents were served on her at a professional event.
“The only people who suffered were my kids, because they need to see this, and they should never need to know this happened,” she told Variety in August 2022, four months after she was handed the documents onstage were CinemaCon.” “It was horrific for me but the victims were 8 and 5 year olds and that’s really sad. I have decided to become an actress. I willingly walked into the limelight. But it’s not something my kids asked for. And when my kids get involved, it hurts deeply.”
The story goes on
She continued, “I hated that that meanness was distracted from the work of so many different people and the studio I represented up there. Trying to sabotage that was really vicious. But I had a job to do; I’m not easily distracted. But, you know, unfortunately, it wasn’t something that totally surprised me. I mean there’s a reason I left this relationship.”
For his part, the former Saturday Night Live star argued that he had no idea his ex-fiancée would receive the paperwork in a public place.
“Olivia’s speech was an important event for Olivia, both professionally and personally, and I am very, very sorry that the incident spoiled her special moment,” Sudeikis explained in the legal filing, noting that he did not have the documents wanted to deliver to his children’s school or to the house of Wilde’s then-boyfriend Harry Styles in case their children “might be present”.
Wilde, who split from Styles, 29, in November 2022, later spoke about the “tough” transition for her children following their split from their father.
Sign up for Us Weekly’s free daily newsletter and never miss the latest news or exclusive stories about your favorite stars, TV shows and more!
“It’s allowed to have some really deep conversations with my kids about emotions and happiness and what family and love mean,” she shared on The Kelly Clarkson Show in September 2022. “It actually allowed me to get to know her in a different way. My priority is them as long as they are happy and healthy. There are so many families that are mixed and of different shapes.”