Numerous people were laid off or on leave during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This can make it difficult to pay bills and meet other obligations like child support, child support, and custody. Divorced parents who are inactive must continue to meet their obligations and failure to do so can result in scorn in court or forced to pay large lump sums. There are legal options that can be pursued for parents who cannot fulfill this responsibility.

There are two sides to this problem and open communication about the difficulty can help. The paying spouse is legally obliged to pay the ex-spouse, but may have lost their job through no fault of their own. Others have cut their working hours or cut their salaries for the same working hours. This can make it difficult to pay a mortgage, bills, alimony, child support, and other expenses.

The ex-spouse who receives the maintenance and support payments is dependent on these funds. It is best to be as honest as possible and stay calm in order to reach an acceptable compromise. Some ex-couples may be able to reach a temporary settlement on the payments. You could end up looking for different jobs, selling real estate, or cutting the cost of living.

What if my ex-spouse is not compliant?
State laws dictate how child support and child support payments can be changed. However, it is important to take action as soon as possible. In Maryland, this means going to the court to see if the obligations can be changed or even terminated. Although alimony changes can be more difficult, alimony changes can be made if it is in the best interests of the children.

Recipients also have options. If a spouse says they can’t make the payments, the recipient can first ask them to request a change. If the payer is unwilling to do so, the recipient can despise him in court. Ex-spouses who receive child support and child benefit but have lost their jobs can also apply for changes to receive additional money.

Can divorce agreements be changed?
In many states, judges change maintenance regulations based on changes in circumstances, such as: B. the loss of jobs due to COVID-19. A qualified family law attorney can help with post-divorce changes. While this is being clarified, the payer’s spouse should attempt to make partial payments to the ex-spouse as a token of good faith. Paying in cash is not a good idea as it cannot be proven. Some divorced couples can use mediation to resolve their problems, but a family law attorney may be required to determine obligations and explain state and local laws. Normal visits with the children should continue even if no payments are received.

Child custody can also be affected by COVID-19. For example, an unemployed parent who lives far away from the child may not be able to afford the gasoline to make the long drive, or if a parent has had to take on a new job with night hours, the child may not be able to sleep. The parent must demonstrate that a material change in their circumstances has affected their ability to comply with the original custody agreement. The most important element is that the child’s best interests come first when considering a change in custody.

How do I change divorce agreements?
The standards for alimony, alimony, and custody vary depending on where the ex-spouse lives. As a rule, the courts will check whether the income has risen or fallen sharply. You also want to be informed of the recipient’s earnings. The child’s financial needs are also important. Other reasons for granting or refusing changes include when one party believes the original agreement was fraudulent, when one party received an inheritance or other large amount of money, or has recently lost a job.

If there is a problem with child support in Maryland, divorced parents can contact the district law enforcement office, file their own case, or work with an attorney. The court may consider alternative financial resources for the divorced couple, and this may include finding loans, inheritance advances, and lines of credit. The federal law on aid, aid and economic security (CARES) for coronavirus can also be used to provide financial relief. Another solution could be to temporarily reduce child support or child support payments. This could include a required assessment every few months and the agreement could be changed during that time.

Alternatively, payments could be held at the original rates, but the debtor could be given a break in collection and enforcement efforts. However, the payment deficiencies would arise as arrears, so that the payer would have to repay everything at a later point in time. For help in determining the best strategy, a divorced person should speak to an attorney.

Towson Family Law attorneys at Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC help divorced couples struggling with payments and custody agreements
If the pandemic has affected your maintenance, child support or custody arrangements, you have legal options. A family law attorney at Towson at Huesman, Jones & Miles, LLC can help you if you need to make changes after the divorce. Call us at 443-589-0150 or fill out our online form for a free consultation. Based in Hunt Valley and Towson, Maryland, we serve customers across Baltimore, Baltimore County, Bel Air, Bentley Springs, Colombia, Freeland, Hereford, Hampton, Westminster, Essex, Monkton, Sparks Glencoe, Parkton, Phoenix, Pikesville and White Hall. Carroll County, Harford County, and Howard County.

Visit for more information.

Comments are closed.