Christian artist GAWVI breaks silence on being lower off from attain information; Ex-wife accuses him of mendacity and infidelity
Screenshot from YouTube.
Last week, Christian hip-hop artist GAWVI broke his silence on the events surrounding his removal from Reach Records. Shortly thereafter, his ex-wife publicly accused him of lying in the statement about the details of their marriage.
During his time at Reach Records, GAWVI released four albums and won a Dove Award for Best Rap/Hip-Hop Song. His latest record, released in March 2021, was titled Noche Juvenil and featured songs recorded entirely in Spanish including the title “You say.”
GAWVI was released by Reach Records on January 31 of this year after being accused of unsolicitedly sending explicit photos to several women. The allegations against GAWVI came to light days earlier after he announced he and his wife were divorcing in 2020. After GAWVI noted in its announcement that there was “no gossip scandal” regarding his divorce, visual artist Cataphant publicly claimed that GAWVI had sexually molested multiple women, including an underage girl.
“Due to conduct inconsistent with our core values, we have terminated our relationship with GAWVI,” said Reach Records in a statement published on January 31st. “This was a difficult decision for us because of the complexity and because we invest in our artists not only for their talent, but also as brothers and sisters in Christ. This is something we have been processing for over a year and wrestled with what would be the right way forward.”
Fellow Christian artist Lecrae, co-founder of Reach Records, expressed sadness after his label’s decision to sever ties with GAWVI, he said the situation “shook our community”. In conversation with RelevantLecrae said that while the label knew GAWVI was having marital issues, they hadn’t been able to get him to “just be transparent with us.”
“We had already stopped releasing his music and stopped making stuff … but that was the hammer that hit the nail,” Lecrae said.
On Wednesday (March 16), GAWVI released a statement on Instagram, which read: “Dear folks, I have spent time reflecting on these past few months and the years leading up to and having meaningful conversations with God, my advisors, my family and to guide my friends, and myself, about the mistakes I’ve made and the man I want to be on this earth.”
“A few years ago my marriage started to fall apart. Instead of leaning on God and confronting the situation, I acted outside the confines of my marriage,” the statement continued. “I started communicating with several women on social media and sharing inappropriate photos.”
GAWI denied allegations that he molested an underage girl, writing: “These were conversations between adults and while I did not meet any of these women personally, it was inexcusable and wrong. I regret these mistakes, take full responsibility and apologize to anyone I have hurt through my actions.”
“As I continue to ponder and wrestle with the choices I’ve made, I ask God to continue to use this time of my life to show me things I needed to learn in order to become the man I want.” he called me to be,” wrote GAWVI. “I’m using this time to work on myself, to grow in faith and to continue to be present in my children’s lives.”
According to GAWVI’s testimony, his ex-wife Brianna Segura was released a statement her own.
“I have remained silent for years to protect my family and marriage. I have focused on my healing, but I no longer want to sit back while the dishonesty continues. The lack of full ownership and genuine apology was extremely hard to take,” Segura wrote. “I was in a marriage where I fought for it with every ounce of me. was i perfect Absolutely not. I didn’t deserve what was done in my marriage.”
Comments are closed.